Turmeric, is also often known as a curcuma longa, it is a very common herb going back to Asia. Turmeric is often referred to as the “Queen of Spices,” the main characteristics are that it has a pepper-like aroma, sharp taste and golden color. People across the globe use this herb in their cooking.
Turmeric is loaded with healthy nutrients such as protein, dietary fiber and vitamins such as C,E,K, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium and zinc, because Turmeric has health benefits it is often used to treat health problems.
10 health benefits of turmeric
1. Turmeric Contains Bioactive Compounds
- Turmeric is the spice that gives curry its yellow color
- These compounds are called curcuminoids, the most important of which is curcumin.
- Curcumin is also fat soluble, so it may be a good idea to take it with a fatty meal.
- Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
2. Curcumin is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory Compound
- Curcumin is strongly anti-inflammatory, it is so powerful that it matches the effectiveness of some anti-inflammatory drugs
- Without inflammation, pathogens like bacteria could easily take over our bodies and kill us.
- It helps the body fight foreign invaders and also has a role in repairing damage.
- Curcumin actually targets multiple steps in the inflammatory pathway, at the molecular level.
3. Turmeric Dramatically Increases The Antioxidant Capacity of The Body
- Oxidative damage is believed to be one of the mechanisms behind aging and many diseases.
- Curcumin happens to be a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals
- The main reason antioxidants are so beneficial, is that they protect our bodies from free radicals.
4. Curcumin Boosts Brain Function and a Lower Risk of Brain Diseases
- Delay’s or even reverses many brain diseases and age-related decreases in brain function
- Common brain disorders are linked to decreased levels of the hormone Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor
- Possibility that it can improve memory and make you smarter
5. Curcumin leads to various improvements that should lower the risk of heart disease
- Curcumin may help reverse many steps in the heart disease process
- Perhaps the main benefit of curcumin when it comes to heart disease, is improving the function of the endothelium, which is the lining of the blood vessels
- Curcumin reduces inflammation and oxidation
6. Turmeric Can Help Prevent Cancer
- Cancer is a terrible disease, characterized by uncontrolled growth of cells.
- Multiple studies have shown that curcumin can reduce the growth of cancerous cells
- A high-dose of curcumin can treat cancer in humans
- Can prevent cancer from occurring, especially cancers of the digestive system
7. Curcumin Prevent’s and Treat’s Alzheimer’s Disease
- Alzheimer’s disease is the most common neuro-degenerative disease in the world and a leading cause of dementia.
8. Arthritis Patients Respond Very Well to Curcumin Supplementation
- Arthritis is a common problem in Western countries.
- Curcumin is a potent anti-inflammatory, it makes sense that it could help with arthritis
9. Studies Show That Curcumin Has Benefits Against Depression
- Curcumin has shown some promise in treating depression
- Curcumin is as effective as an antidepressant
- Curcumin boosts BNDF levels, potentially reversing some of these changes
- Curcumin can boost the brain neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine
10. Curcumin May Help Delay Aging and Fight Age-Related Diseases
- Curcumin has become very popular as an anti-aging supplement
- Curcumin may have effects that go way beyond just prevention of disease
- Inclusion of turmeric as a spice in a recipe can help regulate blood fat levels after a meal
- The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of curcumin are associated with improved regulation of blood pressure and decreased risk of several types of cardiovascular disease