If you’re following a strict skincare regimen, it probably looks something like the following: cleanse, exfoliate, tone, moisturize, apply sunscreen and apply a weekly face mask. However, there’s one more important step you should add to your routine that has amazing overall benefits to your skin’s health: facial steaming
The benefits of Facial Steaming & How to do at home
1. Cleansing those open pores
- It cleanses your pores
- Clogged pores are one of the key contributing factors to acne breakouts
- Whether you suffer from acne or have blemish-free skin, one of the best ways to cleanse facial pores is to steam your face.
- The warm steam causes your face to sweat, which opens the pores and helps soften the surface layer of dead skin cells, releasing dirt and debris that could be the cause of breakouts and would otherwise stay trapped.
- When steam is applied to the face, it softens blackhead plugs, gently releasing them from follicular openings.
2. Skin becomes receptive to other skincare treatments
- It makes your skin more receptive to other skincare treatments.
- Once your pores have opened and the dirt and debris have been eliminated, your clean pores can now better absorb products you might use, such as a face mask or serum.
3. Enhances the circulation
- Steaming your face enhances the circulation.
- Without getting too scientific, steaming your face triggers a thermoregulatory response in which blood vessels in the skin dilate so more blood can flow to the skin, which delivers oxygen and nutrients to the tissue. This is what gives tired, dull skin that rosy, dewy post-steam glow.
4. Helps to remove toxins from your skin
- It helps removes toxins
- When you sweat in the steam room or take a hot detoxifying bath, your body perspires and releases toxins. Your face is no different, so facial steaming is a great way to release toxins that could be causing imbalances in your skin.
5. Promotes a sense of relaxation
- It promotes relaxation
- Steam has a calming effect on the body and nervous system, if you add essential oils or herbs to the water, you can have a soothing, healing aromatherapy session in an at home facial steam.
There are three methods for at-home steaming:
- Using a facial steamer-If you’re trying to recreate your spa facial experience, you can buy an at home facial steamer. They are simple to use and require little prep and clean-up, but most importantly they deliver the right amount steam for a safe period of time so you don’t damage your skin.
- Steaming with warm towels-With this method, you submerge clean towels in hot water, wring them out, allow them to cool down to a comfortably warm temperature, and then apply them to your face.
- Bowl of steaming water-Bring a pot of water to a boil, transfer the water to a ceramic or glass bowl, drape a towel over your head and the bowl, trapping the steam. Place your face close enough to the steam so you feel it on your face, but not so close that your skin feels like it is burning or overheating.
And there you have it… all you need guide to facial steaming!