New York City Travel Guide – ‘The Big Apple’
- The City That Never Sleeps. The Big Apple. The Empire City. Gotham. No matter the nickname, New York has a special place in the history and consciousness of the world.
- Home to nearly 8.5 million people, it is a major hub for global finance, art, theater, fashion, and fooD. It draws people from cultures and ethnicities from all over the world.
- With its iconic skyline, towering skyscrapers, crowded streets lined with ethnic cuisine, theater, parks, and the fact it’s the backdrop for like 50% of the movies out there, it is no wonder that it has always been one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world.
- New York City is composed of five boroughs. While Manhattan and Staten Island are islands, Brooklyn and Queens are geographically part of Long Island, and the Bronx is attached to the US mainland. The islands are linked by bridges, tunnels and ferries.
- Manhattan is 13.4 miles long and 2.3 miles wide at its widest. Except at its northern and southern tips, the borough’s avenues run roughly north and south, and streets run east and west.
- New York City is on eastern standard time (Greenwich mean time minus four hours during daylight saving time, from March into early November, and minus five hours the rest of the year).
- Seeing the City by double-decker bus, boat or helicopter can make for a memorable trip, and there are convenient, affordable ways to visit all of NYC’s major attractions.
- If you’re headed out for a night on the town, you should know that the drinking age in NYC—and throughout the United States—is 21, and smoking is banned in public places throughout the City, including bars, restaurants, subways and taxis, and public parks and beaches.
TOP 10 THINGS TO DO IN NEW YORK
- The Empire State Building
- One World Observatory
- Top Of the Rock
- Statute of Liberty
- Times Square
- Grand Central Terminal
- Wall Street
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Madison Square Park
- Staten Island
Plus many many many more attractions to see! (this is only a few handful of things to see)